Complete Mechanical & Electrical Design and Build of Tresham’s New Teaching Facility at Silverstone Innovation Centre, Technology Park.
Harrisons strongly believe in reducing where possible the carbon footprint of our projects, this was achieved during the design process in several ways:
- Low energy lighting (LED) was used throughout, along with absence/presence detectors to ensure the lighting was not in use when rooms are not occupied.
- A number of pieces of equipment are fitted with inverter is driven technology which prevents high start uploads and is generally seen as much more efficient to run. The items with this technology include the compressor (for compressed air systems) and the heat pumps/AC units.
- Radiant electric panels are slightly more expensive to run initially but because they heat the people in the room rather than the air the temperature they are affectively on for a shorter period of time.
A very important aspect required from both the client and the architect involved providing a functional building which also looked striking to prospective pupils, parents, and other staff members. This was achieved by finishing items such
as the lighting and radiant panels.
Harrisons undertook the following summary of electrical design and build activities, many of these are from our own experience on other similar projects undertaken previously.
- LED lighting throughout, including hi-level workshop
areas & teaching space.
- Lighting control via local switches and light-sensing PIR sensors
- Addressable fire alarm system
- Grade 3 alarm system
- Small power including USB sockets
- Data installation
- Heating controls for radiant heating (black bulb sensing)
Harrisons carried out the mechanical design and build works as summarized below, the majority of the elements are inspired from previous projects however some new manufacturers and technologies were used.
- Radiant heating panels built into the ceiling or suspended
- AC/Heat pump installation in classrooms and meeting room
- Ladies, Men’s and disabled WC sanitaryware installation
- Hot & cold water services
- Compressed air installation